Applications for an Independent Research Project (IRP) in 2021
Procedures before registration
Your application for an IRP for 2021 will be determined through the following procedures. Please read carefully the information that follows. Due to COVID-19, there are some changes in the application method this year.
Flow Chart for the Procedure Before Registration:
Choose your research subject → Contact a possible supervisor → Draw up and submit your application form → Selection
●Make clear your research theme
Clarify your research interest before contacting a possible supervisor. One of the key features of an IRP is that students can decide their own research themes. Unless you can clarify your research interest and theme, possible supervisors will have difficulty in accepting your applications.
●Make an Appointment with a Possible Supervisor
Download the Request Form for a supervisor, and fill in the required items.
Then consult with a possible supervisor and show him/her your Request Form.
If the email address of your possible supervisor is available on the web, make an appointment with him/her via email. Note the following points when you contact him/her.
- Fill in the subject line with an appropriate title. Ex.) Request for Supervision of an IRP
- Write your name, faculty, your student number, and your year.
- State that you are a PEARL student
- Explain your research plan briefly.
If your possible supervisor’s address is not available on the web, send the filled-out Enquiry form to the coordinators (in this case, the Word form is preferable).
The Coordinator will forward your form to your possible supervisor. Make sure you allow enough time, because it takes a few days to forward your request for an appointment.
To contact the IRP Coordinators, click here
●An earlier appointment is encouraged
Just before the submission period, quite a few professors are likely to be absent from university or their offices. It will be difficult for professors to accept your request if it is made at short notice. It is a good idea to contact your possible supervisor before the summer vacation begins.
Application and Selection
●Download the Application Form
Download the application form (PDF and Microsoft Word versions are available), fill in the required items
, and print it out. As a special measure for this year only, the applicants should ask their possible supervisors to fill in the “evaluation by supervisor” before the submission. “Professor’s Signature or Stamp” is not necessary.
●Submit the Application Form
Period for Submission:
9:00 on Wednesday 22 September until 16:00 on Friday 24 September
* Make sure to allow enough time for submission.
Place of submission:
Send the form as attached file to the Student Affairs Office by email (Make sure to write “Student ID Number/ Name/ IRP Application” in the subject line): mita-kei＠adst.keio.ac.jp
- The submission via email is a special measure for this year only.
- To avoid spam emails, “＠” is included as a two-byte character in the above address. Please change it to the one-byte character “＠”.
Applications will be evaluated by the IRP Coordinators and the professor suggested as a possible supervisor. They will evaluate if each applicant has the ability necessary to complete his/her research project.
The decision will be delivered to the applicant through his/her keio.jp e-mail address.
Contact & Inquiry
If you wish to contact the IRP Coordinators, please send an email to
（* To avoid spam emails, “@” is included as a two-byte character in the above address. Please change it to the one-byte character “@”.）
- Make sure you fill in the subject box of your email with the general point of your questions, your name, grade, and faculty. Ex) Enquiry to IRP Coordinators, Name, Grade
- Use the appropriate mail addresses when you contact either the IRP Coordinators or the SAs.
- Use your university email address (@keio.jp) when you send and receive emails about the IRP.