- Q: What will participants learn in this programme?
- A: Students in PCP will learn the basics of economic theory and empirical studies necessary for developing careers based on knowledge of economics. The emphasis is on practical knowledge in economics, rather than cutting-edge academic researches. However, we demand more from our graduates than just doing well in courses in economics at business schools. Our goal is to turn out professionals who can build successful careers based on their solid economic skills.
- Q: How often will we use English?
- A: In PCP, lectures, textbooks, references as well as exams are in English. Students are allowed to use Japanese when they ask questions outside of class and/or correspond with Teaching Assistants. All correspondences with the PCP Co-ordinator must be in English, including e-mail, daily conversation and talking on the phone.
- Q: Is there a certificate of completion?
A: A PCP Certificate is awarded to those who satisfy the following conditions upon completion:
(1) Being a PCP student
(2) Having earned all the required credits for a certificate
The ceremony to confer the PCP Certificate is held on the same day as the graduation ceremony.
- A: A PCP Certificate is awarded to those who satisfy the following conditions upon completion:
- Q: How can we apply to PCP?
A: Eligibility, application documents, and application period will be updated every year around November on the following page:https://www.econ.keio.ac.jp/undergraduate/pcp/application.
All students, including PEARL students, apply during the same application period. The required application documents must be submitted in person to the Faculty of Economics Section in the Office of Student Services on Mita Campus or Hiyoshi Campus during the application period. Applicants who are abroad during the application period should send the application documents, along with the REASON for being abroad, by email to
during the application period.
- A: Eligibility, application documents, and application period will be updated every year around November on the following page:https://www.econ.keio.ac.jp/undergraduate/pcp/application.
- Q: Can students from other faculties apply to this programme?
- A: Yes, we welcome eligible students from the other faculties. The application and selection process will be the same as those for students in the Faculty of Economics.
- Q: What is the selection process?
- A: There are no examinations or interviews. After careful examination of submitted application documents, a list of successful applicants will be uploaded on the “Jukusei HP”.
- Q: If we are planning to study abroad for one year from the fall semester of the third year, can we still apply to PCP?
- A: Yes, if you come back to PCP after your return from abroad.
- Q: Can exchange students also join the PCP programme?
- A: PCP classes are open to foreign students via the programme offered by Keio University’s International Center. Students who register for 10 PCP classes and receive credits for these classes will be awarded the PCP certificate. The 10 classes must include PCP’s “Finance, Policy and the Global Economy” and “Independent Study”. After careful evaluation, the PCP office might decide to allow students to count in credits received for equivalent subjects elsewhere. Please contact the International Center for further information.
- Q: Do you accept the TOEFL or IELST scores regardless of the test date?
- A: The test scores of TOEFL iBT or IELTS must be valid on the day of application, and the tests must be taken by the applicant him/herself. The test score for IELTS must be the Academic Version. We do not accept TOEIC scores.
- Q: Is it possible to take PCP and Research Seminar (zemi) or Independent Research Project at the same time?
- A: It is possible to take both courses at the same time as being a member of PCP. However, please keep in mind that it can result in a very heavy workload. You need to have a strong will to finish and be prepared to invest much of your time in your studies. We advise that you consult in advance with the coordinators about your research topics. Needless to say, students are NOT allowed to submit the same one paper as final/graduation papers for PCP classes, Research Seminar and/or Independent Research Project.
- Q: What happens if I withdraw from PCP before completing the programme?
- A: Students are strongly recommended to finish this programme in which only selected students can participate. If withdrawal becomes necessary for reasons beyond one’s control, students can do so by submitting a withdrawal form to the PCP office. Credits earned in PCP will be counted towards graduation.
- Q: Can a student from another university join PCP and get the PCP certificate?
- A: Only Keio students who pass the screening process of PCP are eligible to become full-time members of PCP. In other words, students enrolled in any other university cannot join PCP as a full-time member. However, exchange students who obtain all the necessary credits for PCP classes can be conferred a PCP certificate.
- Q: Where can I send a question related to PCP?
- A: Please send your questions to “PCPoffice[at]pcp.econ.keio.ac.jp” or the International Centre at “IC-COURSES[at]adst.keio.ac.jp”. The PCP Co-ordinator is Doctor Sahoko KAJI, professor of economics at Keio University. Please note that we do not respond to questions whose answers can be found on the PCP webpages.